5K Fun Run and Walk
The race is on! You’re invited to join runners and walkers from around the greater Washington D.C. area on Saturday, April 18, 2015, at Burke Lake Park (Shelter A), 7315 Ox Road, Fairfax Station, VA 22039 for an exciting 5K fun run/walk. The scenic course features the beautiful shoreline of Burke Lake, a staple for fishing in Northern Virginia. The race begins at 8:15 a.m. and tickets are $35 per runner/walker. No refunds will be issued. Online registration by Saturday, April 4, 2015 is highly encouraged! Click the button below to register.
The IDSEF holds events and programs throughout the year to raise funds to distribute scholarships to deserving college-bound students. In 2014, the IDSEF awarded $12,000 in scholarships. Funds raised from the Alpha Race for Scholarships – 5K Fun Run/Walk will benefit our scholarship program.
Burke Lake Park (Shelter A), 7315 Ox Road, Fairfax Station, VA 22039
For directions please visit the Fairfax County Park Authority’s website at http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/burkelakepark/. Parking is first come first served and the lots open at 6:45 a.m. on the day of the race.
Special instructions for the day of the race:
- The race begins at 8:15 a.m.
- Runners and walkers should plan to arrive by 7:30 a.m. for race instructions, course overview, warm-up and to pick up race packets, including race bibs. Your race number should be completely visible on the front side of your torso as you approach and pass through the finish line.
- Limited onsite registration begins at 6:30 a.m. at the park at Shelter A. Only cash or checks will be accepted the day of the event.
- All participants will receive an event T-shirt. We are unable to guarantee T-shirts for those who register after April 4, 2015, so register early!
- Water will be available along the course and refreshments and snacks will be available at the finish line.
- The event is family friendly and the 5K will take place on a paved road within the park. Strollers and wheelchairs are permissible.
- The 5K will be run rain or shine and no refunds for race registration will be issued in the event of inclement weather.
- Restrooms are located next to Shelter A.
The course begins adjacent to Shelter A and ends at Shelter A. Click here to view a course map.
Medals will be awarded to the top 3 male finishers and the top 3 female finishers. We will hold the awards ceremony at Shelter A beginning at 9:30 a.m. Please stay after the race for snacks and refreshments.
Results from the race will be posted on this website.
The IDSEF welcomes volunteers. When you volunteer for the race, you’ll receive a free T-shirt. To volunteer or for more information on the Alpha Race for Scholarships – 5K Fun Run/Walk please contact Jason Calhoun, 5K Chairman at email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you there!
P.S. – Feel free to share this information with your friends and invite a running buddy. Click here to download the Save the Date flyer.
P.S.S. – If you cannot attend the Alpha Race for Scholarships – 5K Fun Run/Walk but still want to support the IDSEF, consider making a general, secure online donation of any amount on our Donation page on this website.